In any other city I'd probably get smoked by most of the other 60-something women running any given 5k, but at the Johnson City Carousel Days 5k, I can push myself just a little and come second in my age group.
See the person in the black shirt, back behind me and behind the person who is ready for her photo a few seconds too soon? That black shirt person was first in my age group, which means that at some stage she passed me. I knew right from the start I was running a little too fast and so, yeah at a little over halfway through, I slowed down and then whoosh, she went by and hit the finish about 40 seconds ahead of me. Which doesn't sound like much, but those were 40 seconds I could not make up. I was already pushing it, and I didn't want to injure myself because I still want to be running ten years from now so I can be second in the Women 70-79 age group. Got to have goals.

No comments:
Post a Comment