Sunday September 20: Teaching

 I am teaching two classes this semester. One is easy - it's a graduate seminar in American history for students in the Masters in Teaching program. I mean, it is a lot of reading, but once I picked the books, I set it up so they lead the discussions. As one of them said last week, "this is like book club!" and they sounded happy about that. The most annoying thing is that half of them bought e-books and so want to have their laptops open during class which is a distraction to them and everyone around them. 

I took this selfie very quickly a couple of weeks ago when I realized I was outside the room where I had taken my very first class in Binghamton, way back when. It wasn't called "HarpurEdge," (whatever that is) then and there was no cute mascot and I looked, well, a lot younger. Every now and then I think about the variety of iterations of me on this campus in the intervening thirty-seven years and go "huh."

The other course is more work. It is the seminar that the students currently doing their student teaching take, and there's a substantial multi-part state-mandated assessment that I have to get them through. So class is me saying things like "what does the reading say about developing transferable understandings and designing strong inquiry questions?" while my students say things like "yesterday a seventh grader punched the assistant principal in the face."

No comments:

Post a Comment